Tuesday 24 August 2010

Meaning of a name(Draft)

We all have different names and that partially makes up what we are. My name is Brandon Lien and I think my name is average and normal. That was before I discovered the meaning of my name. Brandon means broom hill, hill covered with broom in Old English and prince in Celtic. It was most popular in 1985 which 1.524 of baby boys were name Brandon.(See below) Lien means Connected in Mandarin.

My parents chose the name because they looked in a book of names and chose it mainly becasue it has no negative meanings. Back in 5th grade someone started with a nickname of Branflakes and has been calling me Branflakes until 6th grade which they stopped, because it was getting old. I really hated when they call me Branflakes because it made no sense of why they call me Branflakes. Branflakes is a cereal for old people which I don't eat. The positive facts about my name is that it's not really easy to create a nickname unless you're super creative at nicknames and it's easy to remember. On the opposite side, the negative thing is that people often get mixed up with other similar names, like Brendan, or Brendon. I like my name because this is the name that my parents gave me, so I should respect them and not dislike my name. I use to think my name was average and normal, now I think it as meaningful and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment