Thursday 18 February 2010

The White Mountains Post #3

The Tripods were able to control people by capping them using a metal cap. They control thoughts and knowledge but not emotions and feelings. The Comte, Comtesse and Eloise are all capped but they are still kind and wants to help others. Will is comfortable living in the red castle, he is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse and Eloise has been capped. The evidence or quotation from the novel: "But not Eloise. I had thought her free, like myself. I might even have come to the idea-its beginnings,I think, were in my mind already- that when we set off once more for the White Mountains, there might not be three of us, but four. All this was rendered futile by the sight of her bare head. I had come to think of her as my friend:perhaps more. But now I knew that she belonged, irretrievably,body and soul, to the Enemy." One evidence or quotation of what Will thinks about capping from the novel is:"I was sorry at the thought of leaving her,and my father,and of their unhappiness when they found me gone. The Caps offered no remedy for human grief. but I could not stay, any more than a sheep could walk through a slaughterhouse door, once it knew what lay beyond. And I knew that I would rather die than wear a cap."

No comments:

Post a Comment